Friday, July 31, 2009

Grizzly Lake and Upper Terraces

Today I hiked for the first time in almost two weeks. My knee had been bothering me, so I rested it last weekend. Today I solo hiked to Grizzly Lake, a 3.6 mile out and back to a peaceful mountain lake. At the beginning of the hike, it was raining lightly, but I decided to try the hike anyways with the hope that the weather would clear.

The trail began in a meadow full of wildflowers. After about a quarter mile, the trail switchbacked up to the top of a ridge, which flattened out at the top. The trail continued on through burned and unburned forest on top of the ridge for about a mile. Then, I got some glimpses of some mountains ahead of me. 

Burnt trees in the meadow at the beginning of the hike

Beginning to climb the first ridge

Raining in the distance as I hiked up the ridge

Meadow on top of the ridge

Mountains come into view

Soon, the trail began switchbacking down a ridge to Grizzly Lake. On the other side of the lake, there was another ridge, beyond loomed a large chain of mountains. The best view of Grizzly Lake was from the top of the ridge before switchbacking down, because at the bottom of the lake, the ridge line was visible, but the mountains beyond were not.

Switchbacking down to Grizzly Lake

Grizzly Lake and mountains beyond


The shore of Grizzle Lake

Heading back to the trailhead

Wildflowers along the trail

On the way home, I stopped at the Upper Terraces in Mammoth. I walked the short boardwalk before doing the Upper Terrace drive, which winds up through terraces above the boardwalk. 

Upper Terraces






Along Upper Terrace Drive




No comments:

Post a Comment